4 of 6 | ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 > 
Rebecca op Broadway!
  [ # 46 ] 08 September 2012 08:43 PM
Alternate
RankRankRankRankRank
Totaal aantal Reacties:  729
Geregistreerd  2005-10-07

Ik vind het ook wel erg bijzonder dat er een geldschieter zou zijn voor een derde van het budget. De meeste Broadwayshows kennen veel meer investeerders en de grootsten worden ook altijd genoemd als producent. De Shuberts lijken er dus ook niet meer in te geloven.

[ # 47 ] 09 September 2012 09:02 AM
Broadway Ster
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Totaal aantal Reacties:  4116
Geregistreerd  2003-02-28

Het lijkt er inderdaad wel op dat ‘Rebecca’ gedoemd is te mislukken in New York. Misschien kunnen ze beter de al gemaakte decors verschepen naar Londen.

Handtekening   

‘Once upon a time, lived a Princess and a Prince in Kingdoms Gold and Blue’

http://www.theaterverslagen.blogspot.nl

[ # 48 ] 09 September 2012 11:50 AM
Alternate
RankRankRankRankRank
Totaal aantal Reacties:  729
Geregistreerd  2005-10-07

In Londen is het ook al misgegaan. Daar was het niet mogelijk om het Shaftesbury te verbouwen. In de kelder stuiten ze op grondwater en dat maakte het decor met trap, zoals in het Raimund, toen onmogelijk. Inmiddels zal het moeilijk worden een theater voor ze te vinden, hoewel Rock of Ages en Singing in the rain niet het eeuwige leven zullen hebben…

[ # 49 ] 09 September 2012 12:01 PM
Broadway Ster

Inmiddels is het decor van ‘Rebecca’ wel aangepast. Stuttgart heeft geen trap die uit de bodem komt en New York als het allemaal doorgaat ook niet.

Het Shaftesbury Theatre is binnen niet al te lange tijd wel vacant als ‘Rock Of Ages’ naar het Duchess verhuist. Ik zeg niet dat ze naar Londen komen overigens, dat is meer een wens van mijn kant 😊

Handtekening   

[ # 50 ] 09 September 2012 04:47 PM
Understudy
RankRankRankRank
Totaal aantal Reacties:  144
Geregistreerd  2012-01-04

Theo - 09 September 2012 12:01 PM

Inmiddels is het decor van ‘Rebecca’ wel aangepast. Stuttgart heeft geen trap die uit de bodem komt en New York als het allemaal doorgaat ook niet.

Het Shaftesbury Theatre is binnen niet al te lange tijd wel vacant als ‘Rock Of Ages’ naar het Duchess verhuist. Ik zeg niet dat ze naar Londen komen overigens, dat is meer een wens van mijn kant 😊

Ik zeg doen! En dan door naar Nederland.

[ Gewijzigd: 09 September 2012 05:04 PM by vizier ]
   Handtekening   

~

[ # 51 ] 09 September 2012 05:05 PM
Broadway Ster

De eerste preview is met een week uitgesteld naar 6 november.

[ Gewijzigd: 13 September 2012 10:49 AM by Theo ]
   Handtekening   

[ # 52 ] 20 September 2012 10:25 PM
Toneelhulp
Rank
Totaal aantal Reacties:  23
Geregistreerd  2009-11-23

Als het doorgaat op Broadway, ben ik zo jaloers op die Amerikanen! Fingers crossed dat deze show ook naar Nederland komt.

Handtekening   

When I was young, I had a favorite story…

[ # 53 ] 21 September 2012 02:59 PM
Broadway Ster

In de New York Times is te lezen dat het lot van ‘Rebecca’ op Broadway nog altijd niet bezegeld is. Er is onder andere een email van de producent Ben Sprecher aan zijn medewerkers te lezen. Als een en ander volgens planning verloopt is aanstaande maandag 24 september al de eerste repetitiedag.

Handtekening   

[ # 54 ] 21 September 2012 11:01 PM
Administrator
Totaal aantal Reacties:  3825
Geregistreerd  2005-07-31

Beter nieuws in The New York Times nu. Maar het blijft afwachten…

A lead producer of the $12 million Broadway musical “Rebecca” said on Friday that he had received new financial commitments from investors to make up a $4.5 million gap in its capitalization budget, and that he had informed cast members that rehearsals could start next week. The investment contracts, however, are still awaiting signatures, according to the producer, Ben Sprecher, who had to cancel an earlier Broadway outing of “Rebecca” last winter because of a lack of funds.

Handtekening   

And all shall know the wonder
Of Purple Summer

http://www.facebook.nl/toneelgroeprhetorica

[ # 55 ] 25 September 2012 10:49 AM
Administrator

Uit The New York Times (het wordt steeds mooier allemaal…)

The business of Broadway has always been cloaked in mystery. Most of its 40 theaters are run by three private organizations that operate out of public view. Producers keep deal-making under wraps. The biggest mystery of all is why so many sophisticated investors go along with business-as-usual on Broadway when few shows turn a profit.

Connect With Us on Twitter
Follow @NYTimestheater for theater news and reviews from Broadway and beyond.
Enlarge This Image

Astrid Stawiarz/WireImage for Taylor PR
Ben Sprecher
But nothing about Broadway has been quite as bewildering lately as the $12 million musical “Rebecca.”

Start with a rich investor unknown to clubby Broadway insiders – a mystery man named Paul Abrams. Go on to the astounding sum he is said to have promised to raise for “Rebecca”: $4.5 million, easily 10 times more than the wealthiest regulars normally put down for a show. Then: Reports in August of his sudden death in Britain of malaria – yet no obituaries, no death notices. A representative for the Abrams estate surfaces, a person identifying himself only as “Wexler” who refuses to speak by phone and uses an e-mail address created just last month.

Finally, late last week, came the revelation that the lead producer of “Rebecca,” Ben Sprecher, a man trying to make the leap from Off Broadway to the Broadway big leagues, had never met Mr. Abrams or spoken to him by phone. That disclosure, confirmed by Mr. Sprecher, sent some of his other investors reeling.

“I’ve never heard of a situation where you didn’t at least meet the person raising 30 percent of your show budget,” said Robert E. Wankel, president of the Shubert Organization, one of the big three Broadway landlords and a six-figure investor in “Rebecca” as well as the owner of its intended theater, the Broadhurst.

“Broadway does business in its own strange way, I’ll grant you,” Mr. Wankel said. “But this is the strangest bit of show business to come along in a long time.”

Mr. Sprecher is scrambling to make up the $4.5 million gap in the budget of “Rebecca,” which opened to critical praise in Vienna in 2006 and is based on the gothic mystery novel of the same name by Daphne du Maurier. A spokesman for the show said on Monday that financial commitments are in place, but the money has yet to be deposited.

Mr. Sprecher has been here before: He canceled a London production of “Rebecca” last year because of financial and technical difficulties, then canceled a Broadway production last winter when he could not raise the money again. He said in a telephone interview on Friday night that he would begin paying his cast this week, but delayed the start of rehearsals until an infusion of $4.5 million arrived from investors, whom he declined to name.

“This is a musical that has been a hit in Helsinki and Vienna and other European cities, and I know it can be a hit on Broadway,” Mr. Sprecher said. “I realize I made mistakes putting together the financing, but I’m doing everything I can to make this show happen.”

Mr. Sprecher acknowledged that if “Rebecca” does not open, his company, Sprecher/Forlenza Productions, could be liable for millions of dollars to his investors, a potentially ruinous situation because much of the money has already been spent on building the show’s sets.

For several Broadway producers, the troubles facing “Rebecca” are a cautionary tale about would-be Broadway personalities like Mr. Sprecher who lack the wealth and professional connections needed to guarantee show financing yet still want to become lead producers of big-budget Broadway musicals.

Mr. Sprecher developed close ties to the Shubert Organization while running an Off Broadway theater for it, which helps explain the Shubert executives’ flexibility with him. Yet Mr. Sprecher has enemies, too, from his years dictating terms as an Off Broadway landlord, and his reputation in the business is mixed. Major Broadway producers like Roy Furman (“The Book of Mormon”) and David Stone (“Wicked”) passed on “Rebecca,” leading Mr. Sprecher to turn to mostly first-time Broadway investors and shadowy figures like Mr. Abrams.

Emanuel Azenberg, a veteran Broadway producer who counts Mr. Sprecher as a friend, said he feared that Mr. Sprecher “may have bitten off more than he can chew” in his attempt to become a player on Broadway.

“There are only a handful of Broadway producers who have the money and contacts to take on a major musical as a lead producer,” said Mr. Azenberg, who brought Mr. Sprecher on as a producer of Broadway plays like the 2005 revival of “The Odd Couple.” (Mr. Azenberg is not involved with “Rebecca.”) “If Ben ends up raising the money, it will be an incredible comeback. If he doesn’t, he’ll face a lot of difficulties producing again.”

Mr. Abrams has become a mysterious specter haunting the show – not unlike the ghost that is central to the musical’s plot. One “Rebecca” investor, Nanda Anand, a filmmaker and first-time Broadway investor, said she was simply relieved when she learned of Mr. Abrams’s interest in the show last spring after the production was first canceled for Broadway.

Connect With Us on Twitter
Follow @NYTimestheater for theater news and reviews from Broadway and beyond.
“When I heard that an investor had come along and fulfilled the lack of funds, I did not question the source or the amount of capitalization originating from one individual,” Ms. Anand said. “I trust Ben Sprecher and find him to be very diligent. I saw no reason to raise any questions at all.”

Mr. Sprecher would not say whether he now has doubts about whether Abrams existed. He said he was supposed to meet Mr. Abrams once, but Mr. Abrams canceled, and Mr. Sprecher said he had seen no need to fly overseas to see him. Mr. Sprecher said they communicated by e-mail, and that he learned the death-by-malaria story in August by e-mail from Mr. Abrams’s associates just at the point when he needed Mr. Abrams’s money to pay for the start of rehearsals and theater construction in September. Mr. Sprecher said he then flew to London to try to get money from the Abrams estate, but said he never met with an estate representative. He said the representative, who went by the name Wexler – he or she did not use a first name – communicated with him only by e-mail.

Wexler’s e-mail address was created last month, according to the registration of the e-mail domain name, which was done through Domain Discreet Privacy Service. On Saturday Wexler replied to an e-mail from The New York Times requesting information about Mr. Abrams, declining to comment on behalf of the estate. Another associate of Mr. Abrams, Milton Silverstein, with an AOL e-mail address, was also not forthcoming about Mr. Abrams on Sunday. Both Wexler and Mr. Silverstein declined to provide any independent evidence that Abrams existed, such as an obituary or other record.

Mr. Abrams was a business consultant based in Johannesburg, according to Mr. Sprecher.

“All I know,” Mr. Sprecher said in a telephone interview, “is that one of our major investors died last month, and we are doing everything we can to replace his money.”

“Do I wish I had met the man? Yes. Do I wish that I hadn’t been so dependent on one investor? Yes. But raising money for Broadway shows is very, very difficult, and I had no reason to think that this money wouldn’t be delivered.”

Lijkt me een mooi verhaal voor een show!!

Handtekening   

Of Purple Summer

[ # 56 ] 29 September 2012 07:45 AM
Broadway Ster

Het schijnt dat de repetities nu starten op maandag 1 oktober. Zou het ooit nog goed gaan komen met ‘Rebecca’ in New York ? Ik vermoed van niet.

Handtekening   

[ # 57 ] 30 September 2012 06:27 PM
Administrator

Het lijkt echt niet te gaan gebeuren… Wat een blamage!

The offstage saga of REBECCA The Musical continues to twist and turn with drama of its own. Today, Michael Riedel reports exclusively in the New York Post that, according to his sources, the show “has been cancelled due to a lack of financing.”

Riedel writes “Sprecher spent last week scrambling to raise money from other investors but it appears he was unable to put a deal together. Yesterday morning panicked cast members began hearing rumors that “Rebecca” was off. There is no official word yet from the production but The Post has learned that the show will not open this season.”

At this time, there is no official confirmation either way, but BWW will update you as the story continues. 

As BroadwayWorld reported last week, REBECCA’s lead producer Ben Sprecher told the NY Times last week (and the cast) that he had commitments from investors to alleviate the $4.5 million gap in The Musical’s budget. At that time, the cast was said to be notified as well that rehearsals would indeed begin on Monday, October 1. 

At the time, Actors Equity’s Nick Wyman told NYT: “No one has said the words to me that the money is in the bank, but I would bet on the show taking place. Does he have the money right now? I don’t know. Will he have it by Monday morning? I bet he will. He has been confident that we’ll have the money.”

Bron: Broadwayworld

Handtekening   

Of Purple Summer

[ # 58 ] 30 September 2012 07:17 PM
Alternate
RankRankRankRankRank
Totaal aantal Reacties:  352
Geregistreerd  2011-10-02

Wat jammer ! Deze had ik nog wel eens op Broadway willen zien !

[ # 59 ] 30 September 2012 08:32 PM
Alternate
RankRankRankRankRank
Totaal aantal Reacties:  395
Geregistreerd  2006-04-10

Fentom - 30 September 2012 07:17 PM

Wat jammer ! Deze had ik nog wel eens op Broadway willen zien !

http://broadwayworld.com/article/OFFICIAL-REBECCA-Is-Officially-Delayed-Indefinitely-Producers-Blame-Anonymous-Email-for-Scaring-Away-New-Investor-This-Week-20120930#sthash.1306pnfg.dpbs

[ # 60 ] 30 September 2012 10:44 PM
Administrator

Sjongejonge…

Handtekening   

Of Purple Summer

‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 > 
4 of 6