Shrek the musical op Broadway.
change_status
Understudy
RankRankRankRank
Totaal aantal Reacties:  141
Geregistreerd  2005-03-14

The speculation is over. It’s official!

Shrek is coming to Broadway.

And a projected date has already been set!

Shrek the musical has book and lyrics by David Lindsay-Abaire and music by Jeanine Tesori. The show is being directed by Jason Moore.

“It’s the plot of the first Shrek movie,” says Moore. “But because we are going deeper into the emotional lives and back stories of the characters, we reveal things about them that none of the movies revealed.”

The show will play an out-of-town tryout at Seattle’s Fifth Avenue Theatre August 14th through September 21st. It will open on Broadway some time in November.

The state of new and “original” musicals is dire.

[ # 1 ] 24 January 2008 07:43 AM
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Totaal aantal Reacties:  9622
Geregistreerd  2002-05-01

Het nieuws heeft ook een paar weken geleden op de homepage gestaan. Ik ben echt heel benieuwd wat dit gaat worden. De films vond ik best leuk (1 en 2 dan, 3 vond ik saai), maar ik zie het nog niet echt op het toneel staan…. Maar goed, we zullen zien…

Handtekening   

“Yes we ggghhad…..a great freakin’ day!”

[ # 2 ] 12 February 2008 07:21 PM
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Totaal aantal Reacties:  4893
Geregistreerd  2004-05-12

Shrek Books the Broadway; Foster, Sieber & Lewis-Evans Sign On

According to Variety, the stage adaptation of the animated smash Shrek has booked the Broadway Theatre, soon to be vacated by The Color Purple, where it will open on December 14. Sutton Foster, Christopher Sieber and Kecia Lewis-Evans, who all appeared in recent readings of the show, have signed on to star.
Foster, who will play Princess Fiona, won a flurry of awards–a Tony Award, a Drama Desk Award, an Outer Critics Circle Award, an Astaire Award and three Broadway.com Audience Awards–for her star role in Thoroughly Modern Millie in 2002. She has subsequently been nominated for Tonys for her leading turns in Little Women and The Drowsy Chaperone and is currently playing sexpot lab assistant Inga in Young Frankenstein.

Currently back playing Sir Dennis in Spamalot, the role that earned him a 2005 Tony Award nomination, Sieber is a Broadway musical comedy favorite. He made his debut in 1997’s Triumph of Love and has been notably seen in such shows as Beauty and the Beast, Into the Woods, Thoroughly Modern Millie and Chicago. He is also known as the TV dad to twins Ashley and Mary-Kate Olsen on the sitcom Two of a Kind. In Shrek, he will play Lord Farquaad.

Lewis-Evans, who has been cast as the Dragon, was last seen alongside Foster in the original cast of The Drowsy Chaperone, playing Trix, the aviatrix. She made her Broadway debut as a standby in Ain’t Misbehavin in 1988 and went on to playing Asaka in Once on This Island.
The pivotal roles of Shrek and Donkey have not yet been cast.

Shrek starts previews on November 8.

[ # 3 ] 16 February 2008 12:31 PM
Alternate
RankRankRankRankRank
Totaal aantal Reacties:  667
Geregistreerd  2005-04-26

Ik vind alle drie de films erg leuk, maar ik had niet verwacht dat ze ook een musical van zouden maken. Als ze het in Nederland gaan opvoeren, wil ik er misschien heengaan.

Handtekening   

Bestel mijn griezelroman de twee broers van Dracula
klik hier

[ # 4 ] 29 May 2008 02:57 PM
West End Ster
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Totaal aantal Reacties:  2217
Geregistreerd  2003-05-23

De cast is compleet van Shrek!

SHREK THE MUSICAL will star Tony Award® nominee Brian d’Arcy James as Shrek, Tony Award® winner Sutton Foster as Princess Fiona, Tony Award® nominee Christopher Sieber as Lord Farquaad, Chester Gregory II as Donkey, Tony Award® nominee John Tartaglia as Pinocchio and Kecia Lewis-Evans as The Dragon.

Joining these actors will be Haven Burton (Legally Blonde, Rent), Jennifer Cody (Urinetown, The Pajama Game), Ben Crawford (Les Misérables), Bobby Daye (The Color Purple, The Lion King), Ryan Duncan (Altar Boyz), Sarah Jane Everman (The Apple Tree, Wicked), Aymee Garcia (Avenue Q), Leah Greenhaus,Justin Greer (The Producers), Lisa Ho (A Chorus Line), Chris Hoch (Spamalot, Die Mommie Die!), Danette Holden (Jackie Mason’s Laughing Room Only), Jacob Ming-Trent (Epic Theatre Center’s Widowers’ Houses), Carolyn Ockert-Haythe (The Pajama Game, Wonderful Town), Marissa O’Donnell (Annie in 30th Anniversary tour of Annie),  Denny Paschall (Chicago, Beauty and the Beast), Greg Reuter (Spamalot), Adam Riegler (York Theatre Company’s I and Albert), Noah Rivera (Wicked), Heather Jane Rolff (Wanda’s World), Jennifer Simard (The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Rachel Stern (High Fidelity, Tarzan), Dennis Stowe (The Apple Tree, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels), David F.M. Vaughn (Doctor Doolittle National Tour) and Keaton Whittaker.

[ # 5 ] 12 August 2008 08:45 PM
Administrator

Oke niet schrikken.. Brain d’Arcy James als Shrek:

Persoonlijk vind ik het wel ietsje TE veel lijken op de film.. Maarja de film is dan ook weer geinspireerd op het boek en daar zag die er ook al zo uit.. maar toch.. het is zo veel..

Hier kan je trouwens het bij behorden artikel terug vinden. Ook leuk is de ‘before’ foto!

[ # 6 ] 12 August 2008 10:00 PM
Hoofdrolspeler
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Totaal aantal Reacties:  1109
Geregistreerd  2005-08-14

Tja, je hebt gelijk, maar hoe zou het anders moeten…

Ik ben benieuwd hoe Donkey, Lord Farquaad en the Dragon eruit gaan zien! :D

[ # 7 ] 15 August 2008 11:30 AM
Administrator

Gister was de eerste preview.. Ik ga eens opzoek naar reacties..

edit: ik heb wel wat foto’s van het decor gevonden:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/zoom/html/2008101149.html

[ Gewijzigd: 15 August 2008 11:51 AM by Luuk ]
  [ # 8 ] 15 August 2008 04:39 PM
West End Ster

Van het forum van Broadwayworld.com

Okay, just got back. So here goes: Shrek the Musical.

It was the first public performance so I’ll refrain from any real critical analysis.

The tourists will love this show. Discerning theatre snobs won’t but heck it’s Shrek the Musical. What did you expect?

It’s too long. There were a lot of kids in the audience and three hours is way too long for a kid’s show. (Although tonight’s audience was pretty well behaved despite the very long running time) The second act is stronger than the first. The songs are better and the parts taken directly from the movie fit better than in the first where it isn’t so seamless. The first half of the first act is kind boring but things pick up with the song “Things Are Looking Up in Duloc.” I’ll type up the song list later. The rest of the act is much better but they definitely could work on the first half.

The Sets:
Pretty cool. Not spectacular but boy there are a lots of set changes! I’m not sure they made any scene look the same. I kept thinking there’s more? Where do they fit all that?

The Costumes:
I was sitting pretty far away but most of the costumes looked great. I didn’t love the costumes for the fairy tale creatures and Donkey looked like a crappy bunny halloween costume that they spray-painted grey and pinned a donkey tail on.

Farquad was a played by a man on his knees with little stuffed legs which at first was awkward but it got better when they played with it a little bit.

The Dragon…..really annoyed me. It looked great when they revealed her but then you see that the dragon is really just a big parade float and the real dragon is a lady wearing a hideous dress followed around by a several more girls in hideous dresses. It could have worked but they made the women too separate from the parade float dragon. The dragon is on one side of the stage while the dragon lady is on the other. huh? Aren’t they supposed to be one creature? And the dragon float doesn’t show up in the show again after that first scene. It’s just the lady in the awful dress. It really didn’t work for me.

The performances were good with the exception of the fairy tale creatures whose joke often fall flat and frankly they could be annoying.

I think the show will be pretty successful even if it get mixed reviews from the New York critics (I can see a few critics disliking a show with no fewer than three fart jokes and even a little farting burping song thing.)

Naar aanleiding van vragen

Over Fiona’s transformatie:

No spectacular change. She walks off-stage for at least a minute and comes back transformed.

They also have a bit earlier in the show (the morning after the second night for those who are familiar with the plot) where they show ogre-Fiona walking in the woods just before the sun rises and she goes behind a tree and out from the other side comes Sutton Foster as human Fiona. (The ogre-Fiona was a different actress in that part)

Over andere personages:

Pinnochio is a real man (haha) and his costume looked great.

The gingerbread man was a puppet.

Sutton was an ogre at the end. She had plenty of time to change during the wedding scene. They just play a little trick a few scenes earlier but it isn’t very well executed. The ogre-Fiona walks behind a tree upstage and Sutton comes out of a different tree farther downstage.

Acting and singing good for the most part. The fairy tale creatures performances were a little uneven but I think poor writing for them is to blame. Hope they punch up some of their stuff.

Also there were a few references to other shows…..A Chorus Line (sort of), Wicked and the Lion King were the ones I caught.

Songlist:

Here’s the song List:

Act 1

Big Bright Beautiful World
I Could Get Used To This
The Line-Up
The Line-Up Reprise #1
The Goodbye Song
I Know It’s Today
Things Are Looking Up in Duloc
Travel Song
Donkey Pot Pie
This Is How Dreams Come True
The Line-Up Reprise #2
Who I’d Be

Act 2
Morning Person
I Think I Got You Beat
The Ballad of Farquaad
Let Her In
Gonna Build a Wall
Freak Flag
More to the Story
Wedding Procession
The Wedding
Finale

Over Donkey:

He walked upright and had hooves on his hand and what looked like black workboots on his feet and a little gray vest. Maybe they’re still working on the costume. I hope so because it looks pretty lame next to Shrek’s costume.

[ # 9 ] 15 August 2008 04:40 PM
West End Ster

En nog een andere over de eerste akte:

Not necessarily a review. More like random thoughts on what worked and didn’t work for me, and what I’d like to see. I’ve been up all night, so it’s a bit disjointed.

“Big Bright Beautiful World” opens the show upon Shrek’s parents booting him out on his seventh birthday. It shows him being rejected by the world en masse until he finally secludes himself in his swamp, where the adult version introduces himself with a grandiose toilet flush. “It’s a big, bright, beautiful world” becomes Shrek’s leitmotif throughout the show - snippets of it pop up here and there. That’s a nice touch.

A bit surprised at how undaunting our hero comes off, especially in the beginning. He’s practically nebbish. Both canned roars (“this is the part where you run”) felt silly and ineffectual. The (“boo”) clawed hands didn’t help. Maybe try ominous leaning? Ominous leaning always works. He also seems to get pushed around by Donkey, the fairytale creatures, Farquaad et all too easily. And while we all know that beneath the (to use the show’s metaphor) hairy, smelly onion lies a sweet, chewy center, but there’s no reason to put it on display this early on. It only serves to lessen the impact of his journey.

Having seen Lippa’s Wild Party, I know Brian D’Arcy James can be scary. So let him be. And let him be surly. Intimidating. The big, brash, farting recluse being dragged kicking and screaming into this adventure. And then let him be surprised when he finally confesses that maybe, just maybe he wants to be that hero after all at the Act 1 finale. That’s the development I want to see.

The Chorus Line parody (sorry, don’t have the playbill in front of me). Enchanted folks in a lineup la “I Hope I Get It” replete with Farquaad’s disembodied voice. I laughed so hard when he commanded the baby bear, “Take a step back…too much…too little…just right.” I am such a nerd.

“I Could Get Used to This.” Pretty much what I expected.

CGI-ish effects for the Magic Mirror are fantastic. Select-a-bride is almost verbatim from the film, as well as the Gingerbread Man torture scene.

“I Know It’s Today.” Huge applause for Sutton’s entrance. We see Fiona’s ridiculously strong several times - when she splits the books in half during “cut chatter…”, and later, while de-horning the deer. Let’s push that idea even further. Let her tear one of those books in half crosswise. Accidentally, of course. You vandal, you. I liked the three Fionas singing on different ends of the tower. I don’t care if it’s not logically possible.

“Things Are Looking Up in Duloc.” Chris Sieber is hysterical. A dance. In Super Mario World (great costumes!). This thing is longer than the Transylvania Mania. And, of course, Farquaad’s “nothing’s gonna bring me down” with accompanying Elphaba yell. Hell yeah.

“Traveling Song.” Feels like it was built around the whole idea of having days (circling sun & moon), various passers-by and Lion King puppets cycling in the background to show the passage of time. Like the concept, but the song’s a dud. Cut it in half, or even drop it completely, and have this scene happen during the onion talk.

The dragon’s lair. Nice bridge. How about making it wobble? Or sway. A lightly swaying bridge would be truly scary, compounding Donkey’s terror. Or is that just worker’s comp waiting to happen?

“Donkey Pot Pie.” I like this song. I couldn’t hear half the lyrics though. Dig the concept of having Kecia Lewis-Evans on stage with the puppet dragon behind her (her voice or “persona” along with her physical form). However, the puppet seems to be bobbing somewhat randomly around, creating a disconnect between the two. I’d like to see them more in sync. When Kecia turns to the left, so should the puppet. I’d like them at least to be facing in the same direction. Ideally, I’d like to see their motions miming each other. Hell, I’d like the dragon to have arms so she can point and groove along with Kecia.

Random skeleton dance. I’m guessing because they had to go put the dragon head away and change scenery.

“I Know It’s Today” reprised. With a tambourine. So cute. Shrek bouncing Fiona on the bed to wake her up. Even cuter. She’s as tall as he is. Huh.

Running away from invisible pseudo-threats is not scary. What’s scary to me? A tail whipping in in from downstage. Fire and smoke as they run stage left, a claw swiping at them from stage right, knocking over a part of the wall. We don’t need to see the whole dragon, just bits and pieces - hints that the danger is everywhere instead of just an ominous voice. And finally the dragon’s head ramming the gate so fiercely, the foundations shake. That’s scary. Fiona was also singing throughout this, but in a weird and disjointed fashion. It felt like two things were happening at the same time that didn’t quite mesh.

Sunset. I was hoping Fiona would have torn the bark off the tree (to continue with the joke).

Pinocchio/Gingerbread Man/Gingerplum Fairy. I…didn’t really pay much attention during this part. Sorry. Nice riff from Haven though.

And finally, we come to the end of the first act. Something about the orchestration sounds anemic, especially when it dovetails back into “Big Bright Beautiful World.” I want a bigger sound. Brassier. A showstopper-worthy conclusion that compares to the absolutely gorgeous tableau of the ogre Fiona’s silhouette against the full moon. I’m not really thrilled with the lyrics either. What bothers me is that Shrek seems a little too self-aware in it as opposed to a discovery about himself. The idea of “maybe this is what I secretly wanted all along,” has far less impact with the former than the latter because with the former, he doesn’t really change or grow. What I’d like to have seen was a progression. Let him start off with his usual “I’m an ogre, rahr!” stuff. Then move it towards, “but this adventure was fun,” eventually moving to the conclusion of “maybe I can/want to be that hero after all.” I want that act closer to hit me and make me go “YEAH! YOU GO!”

Right now, it just sort of makes me think, “that’s a gorgeous background.”

[ # 10 ] 16 August 2008 03:35 AM
Broadway Ster
Totaal aantal Reacties:  2666
Geregistreerd  2005-01-21

Het openingsnummer Big, Bright, Beautiful World. Helaas is de kwaliteit niet echt je-van-het op youtube, maar je krijgt wel een goed idee van hoe de opening klinkt. Ik denk dat Shrek een erg interessante show kan gaan worden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcuIKoaFrB4

[ # 11 ] 23 August 2008 11:16 PM
Administrator

Enkele beelden te zien..

Eigenlijk vooral het nummer van Fiona:

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=4226712&cl=9386642&src=news

http://www.king5.com/video/index.html?z=y&nvid=274705&shu=1

[ # 12 ] 24 August 2008 09:15 PM
Alternate
RankRankRankRankRank
Totaal aantal Reacties:  370
Geregistreerd  2005-09-15

het ziet er nog best grappig uit,
helaas is de usa wat ver 😛

Handtekening   

Lees mijn recensies op Heart of Magic, Musical Reports: http://www.musicalreports.nl

http://www.maritslinger-fans.nl

[ # 13 ] 24 August 2008 09:29 PM
West End Ster

En nog een promofilmpje voor Gingy

http://www.king5.com/video/index.html?nvid=272996

[ # 14 ] 25 August 2008 04:45 PM
West End Ster
Totaal aantal Reacties:  2211